SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  Found a Veneer Supplier!!
Page 1 of 1    

Found a Veneer Supplier!!

lovetoskate
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I just found an amazing place with the smoothest face plys I've ever found! I ordered a 10 pack of both their street deck veneer, and also a 10 pack of the longboard material. I didnt know much about longboards so I got the 9 ply pack. They offer both 7 or 9. Well lets just say when I checked out what was in teh boxes I was super stoked. I used to order from ROA but they were too expensive for the wood, and way too much for shipping from Canada.

I spoke to the owner Jason directly, and he is a really nice guy. He actually talked to me on the phone for about 30 minutes answering every question I had about building. I normally don't hype up businesses but since he was so polite, I thought I would spread some word of mouth. Check them out.

http://www.dubpressdistribution.com/
slob-air
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Where is his wood from?

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
from Dub Press Distribution. It's rotary cut and kiln dried. 6-7% moisture content and SO BUTTERY!! I swear, I pressed 4 decks, let them sit for a couple days, cut em out and they have MAD POP. I dont know how they have so much more pop over roarockit but they are sick!
slob-air
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Were does Dub Press get their wood?

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
slob-air wrote:

I dont know? I dont think it really matters does it? They supply super good wood. try them out
slavadov
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quote
lovetoskate wrote:
slob-air wrote:

I dont know? I dont think it really matters does it? They supply super good wood. try them out
Yep, it does. Chinese or Mexican maple isn't gonna be near as good as anything from the Great Lakes or more northern climes. Same goes with birch wood...Baltic birch has better qualities than most other birch harvested in North America. North American birch is more prone to snap when put into a skateboard type condition, for example...Baltic birch has tighter grain, due to a shorter growing season, and is a lot tougher when put through similar stresses.

Country of origin is VERY important when dealing with board making.
ppmurf
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:43 am Reply with quote
Santa Cruz makes there decks in China these days so probably matters no where the plys from if it's glued right. But would prefer real 110% canadian maple.
slavadov
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:40 am Reply with quote
ppmurf wrote:
Santa Cruz makes there decks in China these days so probably matters no where the plys from if it's glued right. But would prefer real 110% canadian maple.
Goon has addressed this in the past. Only some of their lineup is made in China, some is made in Mexico, and some is made right here in the US. Apparently they only use Canadian maple though, in all 3 of their production facilities. It's cheaper to export the maple veneer to China, then re-import the finished product, or some shit like that. Yay for globalization!
slob-air
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:47 am Reply with quote
lovetoskate wrote:
slob-air wrote:

t matters very much.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I feel stupid now. I called Dub Press and Jason told me all his wood is delivered by truckloads to his place and he gets all of his wood from the Southern Great Lakes Region of Canada. He says its "Canadian Hard Rock Maple".

I also asked why his wood seemed better than this other company online and he told me that how the tree grows in the region he gets it from causes the growth rings to grow tighter, and that causes the wood to be more dense, so when they throw it on and rotary cut it, the plys are exceptionally strong and deliver lots of pop.

He's a super cool guy and i'd recommend anyone to deal with him. No knot holes, the sanded layers are super buttery, and he actually hooked me up with a discount and great information.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude earlier when I posted "does it really matter?"... I really didn't think it mattered where he got the wood until I read this post and acsked him about the wood. He says there are so many companies sending there wood overseas and not using imported canadian wood and using cheap crappy china maple, and thats what you find in most of the ebay blanks. That makes alot of sense.

Page 1 of 1