SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  CNC update
Page 1 of 1    

CNC update

waxux
Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
It's been awhile since we checked in. Got wrapped up in the shop I guess.

We have made great strides in our machines over the past few months, refining and pretty much reworked the whole system.

Came up with a board building machine with an all aluminum rail and gantry system and innovative base/table make up. These new machines boast a cut area of 3' x 8' with 5" depth of cut.

The footprint of the unit is 4' x 9' yet it ships in a box that is 54" x 46" x 16". It is entirely modular the shipping box is the table/base framework folded in half. Everything packs inside nicely and the X rails ship in a tube.

Motion Test Video....

You may go to YouTube to view the video by clicking below...
YouTube Video

Should a customer wish to increase the width of the cut area they just need to bolt on a longer gantry rail. We are pretty excited about where we've come from.

Here is another vid of the very first cut test on this model.

You may go to YouTube to view the video by clicking below...
YouTube Video

Hope y'all like it. Hit us up for more info.......

Mike.
Lincolnz
Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
That's BAD ASS!

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:16 am Reply with quote
Looks GREAT!
Mr. Electric Wizard
Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
Lincolnz wrote:
That's BAD ASS!

Whoa!
So I assume this will open up all kinds of design ideas for boards?
Pockets and such.
Very Awesome!

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:30 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the comments all, we have been working very long hard hours only to be way behind.

Website updates and new posts may come slowly for some time to come as our schedual doesn't allow much computer time. However we try to always take time to speak with folks and answer questions as best we can.

In the interest of saving time I will try to answer the questions from several forums in this one reply, lol

- believe shipping to Europe is not a problem other than paperwork and the added cost for frieght. Hit me up and I can get a quote for exporting one to you.

- 3' has proven to be optimal for board crafters of all kinds not just snowboards and skis. Kiteboard and wakeboard builders can now squeeze in dual cutting projects. Short board sk8 builders can line up multiple decks inside the cut area for mass cutting. Surfboard makers can adapt the rails and gantry system to accomodate 3D carving of foam blanks. And so many more applications with a larger cut area

- Yes customers are using these machines for die cutting plastics. Most use a smal diameter spiral router bit for the task. However there are kits that will adapt a router collet and allow it to accept a drag knife blade. IMO that is a great investment for cutting base materials. You can program the machine to make succesive shallow passes with a drag blade using the CNC like a giant plotter/cutter.

- The base price for this design has increased to $4890. We are using much higher quality electronics and stronger materials, not to mention had to hire some help too.
Sorry for the price jump. Yet even adding a 2+ hp router, bits, and software to the base cost, I doubt you'll find a machine that offers what ours will, or is better suited for board makers, than the Bear.

- We learned to build these in much the same way we takled board building....Research (forums like these) and a butt load of effort and failure. The more into it you get the faster you discover all the ways that don't work or aren't right. Just keep pushing forward, most of the small builders I work with and know of put out far superior products than large factories any day.
Not having the resources and funding that giant coorporations are afforded generally results in very creative solutions to big issues. For instance- Sidewalls. They are (or can be) a bain of a board makers existance in many ways, but small builders have not been detered from their projects by that. Look at all of the alternatives that have cropped up in the past few years.....

That's it for now. Thanks again to all and we will try to answer all replies as soon as we can...

MC
yoyo
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the additional infos.

I guess other CNC options would cost twice as much, right?
waxux
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Ok, finally managed to get some pictures of the machine finished and being packed up........

Here it is all tucked inside itself neatly.

After the contents are unpacked, the box unfolds into the table frame itself. Here it is with all of the ribs in place and it resting on the bench.

Here are some shots of the vacuum pipe assemblies and plenum sections being put in place.

After the table if fully assembled its a matter of bolting the side rails on and rolling the gantry in place.

Then just plug everything in, turn it on and direct the gantry home. Here are some final pictures of everything assembled.

That's it in a nutshell so to speak. Hope y'all dig the pics.

MC
Skate Martian
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Interesting set o pics keep us posted on how well it works.

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
They're working great. Have 6 - 8 currently being built.

Should all ship by the first week in Sept.

Haven't had a chance tp post them cutting anything else yet. With this many to do all I get the time to run are test cuts.

I will try to get some videos of one cutting out something else soon.

Mike

Page 1 of 1