SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HARDCORE PUNK & SKATE ROCK  »  Clash or Pistols?
Page 6 of 7    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Clash or Pistols?

Which one?

Pistols  
31%
  [ 21 ]  31%

Clash  
65%
  [ 43 ]  65%

Huh?  
3%
  [ 2 ]  3%

Total Votes : 66
willieleon
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:04 am Reply with quote
hmm, this
or this?

I like the pistols for the intensity and quick flame out, the clash for their growth and range of music. [/img]

Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Posts: 4420 Location: Chicago, IL originally from Liverpool, England
motorpsycho67 wrote:
falconneil wrote:
The pistols predate them all and for that reason are far more important. I guess you had to be there at the time to know how fucking terrible things were in 1975/76. The pistols did it all and first (in england) and were the reason that those other bands stopped playing crappy pub rock and did something worthwhile.

The Damned were first to release a record, not the Pistols.

The Pistols weren't the reason The Clash and others started playing punk rock either. That award goes to The Ramones, who played a show which future members of the Pistols and Clash were in attendance, as well as other future bands.

The Pistols were influential, but not first.

Oh for gods sake. Really? The Damned? If Anarchy had been realeased on EMi it would have been first. The Pistols formed in 75. The Damned were a fucking pub rock band then and Captain Sensible was into Pink Floyd. They don't even count in any conversation.

Yes, The pistols were the reason the Clash started playing punk rock. Read any of the books, watch any of the movies. Strummer admits it, so to say anything else is revisionist history. He was in the 101ers, saw the Pistols and packed it up the next day. The Pistols were already a band and had been for a full year before The Ramones played in London in 76.

Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Posts: 4420 Location: Chicago, IL originally from Liverpool, England
motorpsycho67 wrote:
BlockheadSam wrote:
I knew this was going to turn into a brawl. That's why I voted for the Pistols. Because if they can whip the Who's ass...............................they can whip the Clash.

Well, the Clash are about as tough as The Cranberries.
Joe Strummer sucks.

Could you be anymore clueless????

First off, the Pistols were a bunch of wusses.

Roger Daltry is tougher than the Pistols combined. Same with Paul Simonon. Those two were tough guys. Can't say that for any of the Pistols.

Joe Strummer was a great songwriter, much better than any of the Pistols.

Here's a quarter kid, go buy a clue....

clueless is as clueless does I guess.
The Pistols, wusses? Seriously man, maybe you've been smoking too much dope while you listen to COmbat Rock over and over, but far from it. Steve Jones and Paul Cook were fucking street scumbags, Steve had a criminal record as long as your arm. John was involved with Arsenal soccer hooligans and Sid was just fucking nuts. Glen was a wuss though, I'll give you that.

The Clash? A bunch of middle class schoolboys apart from Paul. You know those famous photos of them posing in full regalia in Belfast wit the soldiers etc? That's all it was, posing. They flew over, photo shoot, flew back. Gigs were too dangerous in Belfast for them. They always wanted to be rockstars, Mick especially. Joe was a good songwriter, but would grab a hold of whatever musical genre was popular at the time. Again, that becomes evident in his documentary when he grabs onto techno.

I was there then, and I'm here now. I've seen the clash countless times. I loved them, and still love the first 2 records, but have lost more and more respect for them throughout the years, the more I learn about the members and their true aspirations. I respect the Pistols more and more every year for breaking up when they did and for being the band that kicked down the fucking door, and didn't just play dress up outside of it.

Crass said it well:

"they said that we were trash well the name is crass not clash
they can stuff their punk credentials cause it's them that take the cash
they won't change nothing with their fashionable talk
their rar badges and their protest walk"

"Yes that's right, punk is dead
It's just another cheap product for the consumers head
Bubblegum rock on plastic transistors
Schoolboy sedition backed by big time promoters
CBS promote the Clash
Ain't for revolution, it's just for cash
Punk became a fashion just like hippy used to be
Ain't got a thing to do with your or me"

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
Fair enough, but Sid was a fuckin wuss who couldn't play bass to save his life. I have a couple friends that knew him quite well.

I didn't know Jonesy then, but he's a fat doughy wuss now. I ride bikes with him ocassionally.

I'd venture to say Paul Simonon could lick any three Pistols without breakin a sweat.
motorpsycho67
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
falconneil wrote:

Punk became a fashion just like hippy used to be

You can thank the Brits for that.
WanderingRobin
Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:35 am Reply with quote
Sex Pistols first for energy ,but Clash for creativity
WanderingRobin
Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:41 am Reply with quote
I'm so bored with the USA.......they said
The Cramps & The Ramones are my favorite
TWOTONESKA4U
Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2009 Posts: 102 Location: Fullerton CA 92833
I would have paid to see the Pistols live, but I would have paid twice as much just to hear the Clash live. I have alot of both and listen to them often just depends on the mood on which one.
Voted Clash

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 Posts: 10327 Location: Raytown Travel Agency
Getting back into Jonesy's jukebox on podcast after like 10 years out of LA.

Dude is the best part of the pistols.
pweakland
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Steve Jones scored a goal on me (I was the goalkeeper, obviously) in an over-30 soccer league about 10-15 years ago. No member of the Clash ever scored against me, so I vote for the Pistols.

Page 6 of 7    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next