SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  B.O.N.O.S.A.  »  old schooler
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

old schooler

Scotty T
Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
1985LuceroX1 wrote:
I was absolutely stunned to see what has transpired since I left skating. There were tons of guys my age (im thirty eight) that were collecting these things.

and even more guys riding. I am amazed at just my local community, there are 10-15 of us between 30 and 50 (I'm 38 later this year) and we all skate together every week, and I live in a small city of about 400,000 people.

The only thing I'd recommend is ride your OG you're restoring, but get a new rider for proper riding if you haven't already. Many guys here are selling the kind of decks you need (American Nomad, Big Mess etc.) so hook it up.

hotrod
Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:34 am Reply with quote
good read that.

....but I can skate for Bacon wrapped hotdogs with pulled pork and Glass bottled Dr Pepper!
GETOCAT
Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Grumpy Ol' Bastard wrote:
It's almost a drag when they come in cool....

Hell_Concave
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I just happened on this forum and joined.

I am also from VB; I started skating in '86. My first board was a Roskopp III with Gullwings that were about 10 pounds each and OJI wheels. I badgered my mom for about a year to get the thing. She thought it was a fad that would last 2 months. It ended up costing over $140 way back in '86 which was a lot of dough back then. I saw the receipt from Hall of Sports a few months ago. They charged a $10 assembly fee. How quaint.

I ended up skating about 5 years and going through probably 30 boards. I was quite the skateboarding industry cash cow. Most of my 30 or so boards were H-Street, SMA or Santa Cruz. I got hurt, quit, had chiropractor visits at 16 for a few months, went away to college in the snow belt and my mom threw away all my stuff.

In '98, someone showed me what was available on Ebay in skateboard collectibles. I then bought a few hundred dollars worth of stuff including an original Roskopp III in the blue color I originally had. I was basically trying to replace what my mom tossed. The Roskopp was used but still quite the memento from days gone by. Then the old familiar: needed some cash and sold out. That was 2004.

About 3 years ago, I bought a Roskopp face popsickle board on a whim. I started pushing around parking lots a couple times a year then I moved to a town with a couple of concrete skateparks. They didn't have anything so cool back in the day! One thing led to another, Oh yeah, in about 2005 I bought the Roskopp 30 year reissue as an investment. I scratched it moving it around and decided to skate it. What a hoot!

I find myself skating a lot and spending lots of money on multiple boards. There are so many board types and options nowadays! The old school collector bug hasn't really set in although I do feel skateboard memorabilia might make a good investment especially if one skates and buys the stuff at retail value v. collector cost. If it doesn't appreciate you can always skate it!

Supply and demand: millions of skaters worldwide, many are passionate about it, idealized memories of youth, the goods are easily worn out.... collectible skateboards might peak much higher at a level no one really imagines like baseball cards once did or muscle cars are nowadays. People get crazy about stuff they wanted when they were younger.

I never thought it was possible to skate worth a darn in your thirties, but I see people ripping in their 40's!

One thing I find interesting about collector skate values is the tent stuff sale from the mid 80's tends to command higher values! No one wanted to pay full price back in 87 for a Joe Lopes Crystal ball. Now it is premium. Likewise, when skating was totally dead in the early 90's and no one wanted anything to do with it, all the stuff from that era is some of the priciest. Ie. the Blind dodo board, etc.

Anyways, cool story Lucero. That brought back memories. Skateboarding will always tend to be rebellious unless it becomes more accepted because of yuppie and soccer mom adoption like snowboarding.
Hell_Concave
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, my idea is that people not ever involved in skateboarding start collecting or becoming the primary drivers of prices appreciating. People will hoard stuff they don't care about when they think other people will pay a premium.

The rationale of these non-skater skateboard collectors might be that it is tremendously influential on modern culture, which would be true.
rubi-soho
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 25 Feb 2010 Posts: 1070 Location: Scottsdale Man-Whore
good post, welcome. these peeps are the coolest around. and when you admit you have too many decks, youll get a meritt badge.

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I guess I've already caught the bug.

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2