SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SNOWBOARDS  »  media coverage does wonders...
Page 1 of 1    

media coverage does wonders...

mac
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:15 pm Reply with quote
A few days ago transworld online posted a story about the 'new' craze of collecting old snowboards. And sure enough over the past 2 days a Sims snubnose lonnie toft (which our favorite son got_wood is all over) and a londonberry-made burton popped up on ebay.
Big bucks getting bigger !
I wonder if the snowboard collectors complain that all of todays boards are 'popsicles' ? Hmmmm....

[ This Message was edited by: mac on 2004-01-08 16:16 ]
nilus
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'll have to check that article out.

The Safari was the first board I lusted after as a kid, but a Kelly Micro Air was the first board I owned. Although I rode the first halfpipe in my area (I remember it being so primitive), I found myself resisting a lot of the technical freestyle stuff for a while. Spins are kinda hard on an Asymetric Air, ya know? But once twintips became the predominant shape, that's what I rode. I don't really see them as the popsicles of the snowboard world (although I guess they are), I just see them as the best shape for general freeriding. Unlike popsicle skateboards, I don't think the riding feel changes very much--you can cruise comfortably or ride a pipe. Of course, in deeper powder, I'd still gravitate toward an old school shape, or a variation of one, like Burton's Fish.

As far as collecting boards, I don't have much, but I use the same critieria I use for decks. I've been snapping up the boards that I wanted as a kid, especially the pro models of riders I liked. I have 3 out of 4 of the original Sims Palmers, some Kellys, etc. I don't think the collectors are focusing on these models that much yet, since I've bought some of them (w/ bindings) for like $50 in really good condition. Most I paid was maybe $120. Market seems focused on the original shapes, which I equate to collecting 70s skateboards. I like the history there, but those boards have no meaning to me personally.

Just my quick thoughts...

Nilus

Page 1 of 1