SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  Why longboards?
Page 1 of 1    

Why longboards?

Stubbs
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:55 am Reply with quote
Back in about 1992, I bought a 36" Powell board from the Phillips' skatepark pro shop, The Dungeon. I kept it for crusing sidewalks around the house and then began to skate it at the park. This was back when you could get popsicles or old school style boards. The switch had already been made but you there was still a ton of NOS stuff out there. Square tailed boards were not hard to find is what I'm trying to say.

After Jeff died and the park closed down in 94, I just skated by myself from then til about 2000 when I decided it was time to start hitting pools and ditches hard again. Of course I could not find a square tailed board to save my life so I just started skating that Powell 36" on everything. It ruined me for any wheelbase shorther than about 17". As time has gone on and skating has gone through the roof with all the tech stuff, Hawks 900's and Bob now doing el Rollos, I decided I wanted to get as good on a longboard as I used to be on a short. My logic was that if I could learn to skate a longboard in a pool, pipe or park that I could skate anything. It is much more challening for sure. Anyhow, I could not find square tailed boards so I kept skating that Powell until I found the Afroman Numbchuck. That lead me to all the other killer longboard companies out there. Gravity, TVS (now defunct), BOZI, and others. The longs being produced today remind me of the shapes of yore, even if they are a bit longer. Don't let that deter you from skating a long. Longs can be applied to any terrain, you're just going to have to work it a little harder and it's going to make you a better skater. Mark Gonzales said in an interview once "I like skating really big boards. You don't ride them, they ride you. You have to really be on top of it to control a big board." So true.

I'm a longboard addict.

[ This Message was edited by: Stubbs on 2003-12-19 09:59 ]
sidewalk surfur
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:32 am Reply with quote
I've been riding boards since i was about 7 years old. Got my first Nash Executioner and it was full force from then on out. My first pro board was a powell peralta mike mcgill. I learned all of the basics on that thing and have been inspired to progress and have fun on a skateboard ever since. Fast forward to early/mid nineties. I too fell into the change over to more street/tech skating. I can't bag on that style of skating too much because i really learned a lot during those years and made some great friends while doing it. Fast forward to about a year ago, or as i call it my "awakening". I realized that i really enjoyed skateboarding so much that i needed to expand my horizons and give all aspects of skateboarding equal effort. (that's also when i got into collecting) I decided to buy a fatter board (more of a return to older shapes) and rip around on it too. I loved it (for different reasons then i loved street/tech skating). Wanting to further my experience, over the next few months i also purchased an offroad setup, and a longboard from powell that looked rad. My neighborhood where i live has tons of steep, winding hills so i have had a blast. I pretty much realized that i enjoy skating street with my pop sticks, skating ditches/bowls/pipes with my fatter more oldschool style board, and bombing the hills with my longboard. I am addicted to all types of skating and can honestly say that they all will remain a part of my life forever. Once I felt the rush of cruising down a hill on my longboard i wanted MORE SPEED, MORE CARVING, AHHHHHH. So i hooked it up with some Randall II's, some krypto's, and some Bones swiss ceramics and the rest is history. Great idea on starting this forum Tina. Tis' only natural in an environment such as this. Thanks to everyone that makes S&B what it is for people like myself!

[ This Message was edited by: sidewalk surfur on 2003-12-19 10:34 ]
ghostcavalry
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:32 am Reply with quote
I wasn't convinced til one day at the municipal skatepark I saw a guy drop in and ride almost everthing there. He had an old beat up Envy, looked about 48" with regular hard wheels and he was flowing all over the place. The flippy kids were jealous, you could tell! They get one good run if they're lucky, and spend most of their time falling or bailing after practicing the same trick over and over. I don't see the fun in that, personally.
Pool-Skater
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:43 am Reply with quote
When I resumed skating four years ago, I bought one of the ubiquitous Powell Hot Rod decks. The 15.5" wheelbase was the biggest I could find then at my local shops. When we moved to Colorado, I started skating the Westminster Van's park. I got a DB Hackett (17"-ish wheelbase) deck for father's day, and it was like a revelation. After that, the boards kept getting longer--36" Comet, 38" BDS, etc. Now, my "shortest" rig has a 17" wheelbase, and my preferred boards have 18"+ wheelbases.
Stubbs
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:44 am Reply with quote
Nor I, Ghost. Constant motion. See my post about THE REASON FOR SKATEBOARDING.

Page 1 of 1