SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  POOL, PARK, BANKS & PIPES  »  BMXers trying to get to ride the Tulare Skatepark
Page 1 of 1    

BMXers trying to get to ride the Tulare Skatepark

DickGozenya
Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
They were no where to be found during fund raising. Now only one week befor it opens they are starting to cry.

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/apps...mp;s=d&page=2

Do me a favor guys, Can you leave some comments on this newspapers site.

Thanks,

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Apr 2008 Posts: 4142 Location: I lay right down in my favorite place
Done:

I have been a skateboarder for 40 years. I am 49 years old. I have been around the skatepark industry since 1976 and have witnessed many problems with bmx bicycles in skateboard parks. I am going to post some information for you that my brethren at Concrete Disciples have put together.

There are two inarguable reasons for our concern with sharing bikes in our parks. Foremost, shared simultaneous use of the skatepark is unsafe. Skaters and bikers travel at different speeds and choose different lines. Every issue begins at design, and differences in use are obvious by just looking at a BMX bike side by side with a skateboard. A BMX bike has 20 inch wheels; a skateboard has (I'm guessing an average) 57 millimeter wheels. The difference in wheel size creates very different limitations and opportunities. Ditto for the wheelbase. Then consider the comparative ease with which one can propel a bike. The result is that a BMXer can go much faster than a skater, and recover from a lack of speed in a hurry. Skaters have the advantage in tight spots like quick trannys, but BMXers will always scurry from wall to wall faster than skaters. The result is that skaters and BMXers inevitably use terrain differently. Mixing the two user groups simultaneously means never having the psychic comfort of knowing where the other rides. You end up thinking about the BMXer instead of the trick you're trying and you bail. Then the collisions; when they come they get ugly quickly. Skaters are completely exposed to blunt-edged handlebars, pegs, seats, and pedals� not to mention the force of a guy on a 20+ pound bike. Shared simultaneous bike and skateboard use of a skatepark is like cars and trucks sharing roads with different sets of driving rules. The accident is just around the corner.

Next is the unfortunate reality that bikes inflict a degree of damage on park infrastructure never matched by skaters. I'll never forget watching a BMXer come down onto the concrete deck peg-first at the Grant's Pass, Oregon skatepark. A two-square inch of concrete went flying. Time and again I've heard BMXers say their use is completely analogous to skaters' use. I always immediately think of the Grant's Pass incident and shake my head in disbelief. The next time you see a skater blast out a two-square inch chunk of concrete let me know. For more evidence, see Dan Hughes' website: http://www.policygov.com/skate/sumnerchunk.html. Pool coping, for many the holy grail of the grind, is particularly susceptible to peg damage. When BMX riders destroy the coping, they are unconcerned with the pebbles left behind in the skatepark- and they can and will make skaters wheels go into uncontrollable skids. (imagine running into an engine block sitting in the middle of a street- it is going to mess your car up and make you crash).

To sum it up, the mixing of bikes and skaters is dangerous and will expose the skatepark operator to big liability. It is best that BMX riders get their own place to ride. BMX riders can ride on dirt- and that is where they belong, unless they make other arraingments that do not jeopardize skateboarders. Please keep BMX riders out of the skatepark.

MrMo
Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Nice Job!

Last edited by MrMo on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrMo
Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
We had the city commission approve the denial of BMXican into the skatepark this morning. It will go before the city council and be finalized and inforced. Funny thing about this was 2/3rd's of the litte piss ant's where not even from our town.
auragreg
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:49 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
DickGozenya wrote:
They were no where to be found during fund raising. Now only one week befor it opens they are starting to cry.

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/apps...mp;s=d&page=2

Do me a favor guys, Can you leave some comments on this newspapers site.

Thanks,

this seems to be a common theme for BMX guys.

we've been fundraising for almost 5 years for a park. I'm sure we're going to run into this when we open ours too.

personally i have nothing against BMX riders, but to cry over something that you didnt have anything to do with just plain sucks. Start your own group then. Do your own work. Build a dirt track.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
MrMo
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
That is exactly what we told them Take the next 6 years and work for what you want, WE DID! Good luck with your project Greg!
distalradiusreduction
Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Comments posted to the paper's web site.
ecvjohn
Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
every time the bikers come out, what happens? the majority of the groms sit on the side because the bmxers use a large part of the park and the skaters cannot get out of the way in time. theres usually no respect between the 2. fuck them they have bmx tracks and there are plenty of places for them to ride.
lynfieldryda
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah some touring B.M.X. dude totally jacked my local and it's even on his video . My friend showed me the bike companies video and sure enough it shows the moment of impact when his peg took a massive chip from the edge of the snake run . That chip ruins heaps of line because it's right in the middle of the long straight stopping anyone from fully grinding it as we used too. Dude doesn't even live in this country . we have tried bondo type stuff but it'll never be the same. As for pool coping . I don't want to go there because we don't have many pools and they are steadily getting chipped . You know that clanging sound of a bike hitting cement and bouncing around down aaaahhhhh
BillyBonebrake
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
BEWARE these bottomfeeders will pad their ranks with their friends: "disenfranchised" non-skaters who never before gave a shit and happen to occasionally ride bikes. Swarming parasitic bandwagoneers (griping parents included) will help pack the halls when this comes to a head in town chambers. and it will. The same crap just went down last fall, in Bristol, ct and its still not over.

Godspeed, Richard.

Oops just noticed the date of this post. Must be an update somewhere. Bikes piss me off to no end. So my statements stand.

Page 1 of 1