SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  Alternatives to 7ply decks
Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Alternatives to 7ply decks

waxux
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Sorry guys I have been jammin out decks of all kinds right now. I meant to respond to this faster.

I had forgotten about this thread to be honest. I think a good place to start a reconstruction like this is the shape(s) concave and kick angles to build a mold that will be true to the original. Best way to do that would be to have a deck to back engineer/measure so on.

Then it would be necassary to accurately know how the boards were constructed again wanting to stay true to U W. Any information regarding materials, cloths, resins, and techniques would be much appreciated.

I have been doing a great deal of vertical lamination since this thread first got started. I don't use resins or cloths in any of my decks for reinforcement. The combination of the individual plies and a great glue are forming very cool All Wood Composite longboards. (take a look at the Manta Mold thread)

There are plans to continue this type of construction in to the short deck line in the near future. I am very interested in taking on a reconstruction like this though.

Chris.... drop me a PM if you would. I wonder if you might want try one of our 7ply maple decks with a PUR glue.

Mike
mkelty
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
waxux wrote:
I think a good place to start a reconstruction like this is the shape(s) concave and kick angles to build a mold that will be true to the original.

I hear you, and truth be told, I'm personally not neccesarily after the exact concave, if it were a Rockered deck a la Cruise Missile, it would be an improvement over the old. For me the 6 Ply Epoxy/Fiberglass pool deck was the ideal, and John's shape rocked for me. The 6 ply is lighter, stronger, and if one were to seal the outside edges to prevent the moisture loss delam that plagued the old decks, and maybe reinforce the rear truck area with Carbon Fiber, probably damn near unbreakable, too.

waxux wrote:
Best way to do that would be to have a deck to back engineer/measure so on.

If you want, I've got a broken deck to inspect the interior, as well as several whole decks to remodel the concave from, but I've also done a fairly extensive analysis of the manner in which they were laid, and have been in touch with the old UWS owners to discuss the techniques they used (most of my assesments/suspicions proved correct).

Doug had a lot of suggestions regarding wood supply, Fiberglass choices, etc., and I'm hopefully going to be gettting a more detailed set of answers back about some of the questions I raised (including the earlier questions/points someone raised about how the veneer was treated in regards to the Epoxy)

On a high note, one of them *HAS* all of the molds, etc. that they used. He's stopped communication at the moment, but I'm chalking it up to him being busy and/or possibly having a very serious conversation with himself about this stuff, but it is quite possible that I may be able to borrow the original molds if a true repro were in the works.

waxux wrote:
Then it would be necassary to accurately know how the boards were constructed again wanting to stay true to U W. Any information regarding materials, cloths, resins, and techniques would be much appreciated.

Fling me your email, and I'll share with you what I've got, what I know, what I suspect, and what Doug's comments were.

waxux wrote:
take a look at the Manta Mold thread

I did, and you've got some amazing stuff coming out, I'm just waiting for your 11 X 33 blanks to hit the floor...
skateight
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
What kind of uncuts do you sell?
chrisolden
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
yeah...a non-7 ply construction deck that utilised the
old SC rockered concave...I'm droolin' already.
I have a Claus Grabke "All Around Model" that has
the cruz missle concave...it's a work of art.
nobody does concaves like that anymore.
co
boss
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
skateight wrote:
What kind of uncuts do you sell?

check my www. .....thanks!
waxux
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Boss I really like the site your boards look great. I'm working on our site but for now there are quite a few pics of our stuff on our myspace page, www.myspace.com/wednesdayskateboards

I am down for making custom molds esspecially if it is one that y'all would like to see a bunch of decks made from. It is cool to add to the line up. And I like being able to do special orders.

What we have in stock for uncuts is our deep concave blanks they measure out at 9.5" wide 35" long. I can get wider veneer for special orders and would love to get enough orders to be able to get a small amount of the big veneer and press more than a couple.

As with most small companies we are tight on what amounts of materials we can afford. Obviously it would be better to take a medium sized order to justify buying a quantity of veneer but there are suppliers that will sell single decks worth of veneer it just adds to the lead time for building them.

I would be willing to foot the cost of any new mold someone had in mind if they were willing and able to lend a deck so the mold could be made to suite and the shape accurately patterned. The molds dont cost much to build usually less than $60.00. I would also be sure to return the lent deck with the newly made one(s) If that appeals to anyone PM me and let's talk how we could make that happen.

All of the short decks we're putting out right now are 7 ply maple but laminated with PUR glues. Unfortunately our remaining veneer is older than I would like it to be and is prone to stress cracks. I will say that they are damn hard (very hard) to FOCUS. We have been known to have them run over with large vehicles without breakage.

There is a few contests coming up in our area within the next few weeks and I had in mind of putting on some kind of side show. Set up one of our decks complete and asking anyone (and everone)to try and FOCUS it. If I can swing it I want to give the winner or one who can break it one of our longboards.

We have put out more than 200 decks so far this year and the PUR lam-ed boards are proving to be very well recieved. Despite the few problems with stress cracks. I have yet to have any reported to warp so that is a plus as well.

I won't tell anyone that our decks are the shit. I would rather build the best deck I can for anyone who is willing to take a chance on us and give them a shot. Let the deck speak for itself. If anyone would like to have one in a particular shape and have a deck for us to make a pattern from then let's talk. PM me. I'll shape two decks for the price of one if you trust me with your deck so I can make a template and get it back to you.

Mike
boss
Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Hey Mike, I checked out your "space"...cool, but you definately need a website!
I'd like to know how you get a good joint and clamp on the edge lams, and how thick are the veneers to start with.
Now that I think about it, I have a good idea how it's done.
Could you verify it for me?

Looks good, Boss.
gogomouse1
Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
just curious....

does anybody do cambered/ rocker blanks?.... ones that can be flipped for either use.

Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3