SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  marketing ideas that WORK!
Page 1 of 1    

marketing ideas that WORK!

waxman
Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
I have an online skateshop and have tried the pay per click and pay for performance routes and was wondering how you guys promote your stores and what you find that is most cost effective.

Some of the things i have been doing that are free and real cost effective and bring in traffic have been.

submitting my site to engines
keeping my site search engine friendly
promoting my site on DIGG and other web 2.0 sites
created a free sponsorspace account which has sent the most free visits and has most interest so far. www.sponsorspace.com for anyone looking to get skater eyes on your gear, its free for companies to signup and and it works! I sponsor kids with discounts and it gets them to buy in droves.
reddit has brought some traffic to my sites
sending out coupons via my mailing list
offering freebies when i can

You guys have any cost effective strategies you would wish to share?
updating my mailing list often
brianzig
Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to how the sponsorspace works out. What kind of discounts you offer, how many you sponsor, ect. I have been thinking of doing this but never heard any feedback from someone that actually used it.

Other than the sponsorspace, we already do all the above. Myspace works out pretty good for us. Just starting with Facebook and Twitter.
notus
Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Feb 2007 Posts: 90 Location: North Augusta South Carolina
I'm always interested in new ideas!

It seems I have been very busy and online sales look better and better with all of the other things going on around here.
Right now I have two oppotunities on hand.
One is the Summer Nationals drag race in Commerce, the other is the Allendale Cooterfest.
We just got finished with the Masters golf and today was the Tour of Georgia bike race which came right by my house in Carolina and oh yeah the shop????
I need a website.
brianzig
Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Hey Chip (notus),

One thing I would suggest about a website is to start small. There is a lot to learn and a lot of work that goes into it that you won't realize until you get into it. You have to look at an eccommerce website as a second store as opposed to an addition to your brick and mortar store.

I'd suggest starting with a blog for the shop. It's easy to update, you can post pics and videos, and it be customized as needed. I would recommend Wordpress. There are plenty of themes and widgets available. You could have it going while learning the ins and outs of what is needed to do a full blown site.

waxman - one quick tip that is free....WebCEO. The basic version is free to use. Gives you a ton of info on your site and it's rankings as well as a bunch of other great info.
waxman
Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:48 am Reply with quote
Hey Brian,

Sponsorspace has been great for us to sell stuff but at a discount. Immediatley upon us opening our sponsorspace account we got promoted to the front page and then the skaters started to friend and inquire about sponsorship. We have a pretty good markup on most of our products so we started sponsoring riders with discounted products and it works out REAL good as most accept the sponsorship and most will buy at our discounted price. They remain loyal because we are sponsorsing them with discounts and in the future we will pay for them to enter contests but right now its just a small small discount but its yielding great results. The skaters once they are sponsored by you then begin promoting your company so its like a double win, in our sponsorship offer we say we will sponsor you with x% discount but you must promote us in your social networking sites and at your local parks and we have seen significant traffic to the site and in sales so im definately a believer in sponsor space plus its FREE!

Hope it works out for your, let me know if you need help.
waxman
Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quote
here are 2 examples of how people use it to help their online skateshops and physical skateboard retail shop. Its good for managing riders and communicating and sharing info with them. send me a private message if you need help.

http://www.sponsorspace.com/skate911 - online skateshop

http://www.sponsorspace.com/Stereotype_Skateshop - physical skate shop

http://www.sponsorspace.com/ryanhulmes skater

this should give you a good idea how it all comes together and bottom line is it definately helps the bottom line and it doesnt take up too much time either.

Also i create a froogle feed and upload to froogle which sends traffic my way....good luck
wilky24
Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Hey Waxman, how many people do you sponsor on sponsorspace? do you pretty much accept anyone who replies, or are you fairly picky? What kind of terms do you give them for their sponsorship?
DylanAringdale
Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
hey thanks for the tips, i might try out that sponsorspace thing

Page 1 of 1