SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  skinny's 10" stuntwood--first impressions
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

skinny's 10" stuntwood--first impressions

gamby
Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I just got my shipment from Sierra Nevada Skateboards. I'm pretty sure I was one of the first to take the plunge on the new 10" mold.

This is one gorgeous piece of wood. I had Milt do a repro of the Powell Steadham shape with a 15" wheelbase (the bowl I frequent is pretty tight), wheelwells, a 7" tail and dark blue stain. And that's what I got--just friggin' perfect. Came out to 10"x30.5". The quality of the wood is sick. It's like a piece of fine furniture for Chrissakes!!!

The nose is a traditional oldschool nose. It's a perfect spoon nose. Very nice. The concave is DEEP. I was going to run rails on it (for authenticity's sake), but I'll have to move them in about 1.5" on each side if I were to have them contact any surface--yes, folks, it's a deep-ass concave. Pictures do it no justice. Should hold my feet in place on the coping quite nicely.

Tail appears to be medium-steep. I never can tell steepness until I skate a deck.

For anyone considering having him do a Hensley Kingsize repro, I think you've found your place. This mold should do it perfectly.

I'll post a pic when I get the chance. I'll be setting it up tonight with Indy 169's and Powell Mini Cubic reissues. It's going to be a perfect bowl cruiser. Probably won't get to the park with it until Tuesday.

So basically, massive props to Milt.
gamby
Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote

txrocker13
Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:04 am Reply with quote
thats sick with the Sierra flames on bottom! good one Skinny.
gamby
Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote
The graphics were actually secondary to me in priority since this is a rider. I actually wasn't nuts about the flames until I saw them on this deck--now I like 'em.

The construction of it is the thing to jump up and down about. He did really nice wheelwells, the stain looks great and the concave is awesome. Solidly made deck, no doubt.

I won't get to the park until Tues (no time til then) and the wait is killing me. After all these years, I'll be back to skating a Steadham shape again. Too cool.
skinny
Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I am glad you like it.
I am really looking forward to feedback on the ride.
Although I test new stuff all the time, I have not tested a big deck like this yet. People who did, are positive and seem satisfied.

I look at it like this, Chris is testing this out for ME. I hope if there is a problem, I hear about it. I know how important honesty is.

I don't think there will be any problems. The concave is really deep though. I could see it taking a little while to become comfortable.

There weren't any concaves like it back in the 80's.
As for the graphic, it was July and red, white, and blue seemed like the thing to do.
macsdaddy
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
How much distance between the nose and tail?

*I'm assuming that the spoon nose is the nub of the front kick?

skinny
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote
It fits up to a 17.5 wheelbase maximum.
McClanahan
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Does the concave run all the way to the tail, or does it fade out similar to shapes of around '89?
gamby
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Mine has a 4.25" nose, the spoon/kick starts at roughly the first 2" of that nose. Perfect for an oldschool 10x30 deck (can't speak for longboard apps)

As for the concave, it runs all the way down to the rear truck. Starts to taper off at the rear bolt holes. The tail has a slight concave to it, which feels GREAT. The kick is medium steep as I feel it. My barometer for this is how it feels sitting on the coping at drop-in. I'll know this tomorrow (assuming the park is open due to the heat (we're in the middle of a heatwave in the northeast).
gamby
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Got back from the skatepark a couple of hours ago. Let me just say that this is one of the best setups I have ridden in my life.

This deck is PERFECT. Yes, I said perfect. You know how it usually takes a little while to get comfortable with a new setup? This one felt so right so fast.

That deep-dish concave is so fucking great I can't even believe it. My front foot is cradled when I hit the (cement) coping and everything stays in place. Very solid-feeling deck--ot much flex of any sort. With the Mini Cubics it's a tank, anyway.

After riding it, I can now say that yes, the tail is medium steep. Far from mild, but not as steep as my Stereo Raygun. Really nice feel with the concave on the tail (that and I forgot how cool a wide-tail deck is).

Interestingly, most decks get scraped to shit on the coping from all the drop-ins in a session. This thing is barely scratched after a 2.5 hour session. That is some serious wood!!!

Also, I can't say enough good things about the Mini Cubic reissues. So goddamn fast and grippy in a wood bowl. I was popping out of the coping on my backside grinds--I've never done this before (used to skating Mini-Logo 58mm/95a wheels). Such low effort to maintain speed--the board just fuckng flies.

Yeah, so I'm still 100% stoked from this session. First time equipment has blown my mind. It really brought out the improvements that I've made in my skating over the past few months.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next