SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKATEBOARD ART  »  The Cost Of Art?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

The Cost Of Art?

CH3NO2JAY
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Just curious if anyone has opinions on a cost of a full graphic ready to be used for screening purposes?

I know it's a vague question and it depends on who does it and how detailed it is, but does anyone have any general guidelines based on real transactions.

Is the price range for a full graphic range from

Free - 500 or more?

What would a piece of art for a deck from Blender / Miller / Cliver/ VCJ etc cost roughly. Is it a 4 figure piece of art? ex. 1000 dollars or more

I'd love to hear peoples opinions or prices if they are more than willing to share them publicly or via PM.

Some may say if you have to ask, you can not afford it, but I'm just curious what the general cost of a graphic is for a current company/label...
tioem
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Feb 2004 Posts: 5478 Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
One million dollars...

When you pass, I'll be less angry.

http://tomledin.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Slim
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
I think most art work on skateboards has historically been done by artists/designers that were employees of the skate companies. They were paid salary regardless of how many boards were being sold with their artwork on there, and the owner of the artwork for future use is the company (nhs, powell, whoever).

Here's the way we were going to run our deck sales, before our company got seriously sidetracked by some "real life" events.

Our cost per board was about $25 including boxes, postage, some advertising, etc.. Our sale price would be $40. We'd distribute the $15 profit this way:

Artist $5 per board
"pro" endorsing the board: $5 per board
Capitalist (i.e. us): $5 per board.

That's the way it ought to be run. But in this fucked up world, somehow the people "risking their money" are supposed to make most of the profit while the other folks who actually do something (draw, skate, press wood, etc.) make peanuts. So the Novak, Vitello, Powell etc. of the world make most of the money while the artists whose brilliant work sells the product struggle as wage slaves and the skaters providing the image that also sells the product get used up and spit out with broken bodies and eventually have to work a real job. (there are a few exceptions, but that's generally what happens).
CH3NO2JAY
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses.
I think I'm cursed when it comes to art. I need to find a local artist or kickass online artist that does work in Illustrator or PS to do some work in the near future. I might have a job in a week doing roofing with a bunch of crackheads, but it will pay the bills and have me get that much closer to paying some debt off and starting up the label...
Nothing good comes easy, just trying to stay positive...
MMS
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 15098 Location: Heaven or Hell...kinda hard to tell.
Tough to answer.

Notoriety of the artist would come in to play. How busy the artist is, etc. etc. Young and hungry is cheap. Mr. Cliver, or Mr. Phillips, probably not so cheap. (just a guess)

I've done stuff for product. I've done stuff for money. I've done stuff for a blend. On the money end...I charged a blanket $50 per hour, if we're talking about it or I'm drawing...the clock is ticking. Don't know how anyone else bills.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote
I design for fun and I design for $.

There is often a fine line between the two, but business is business. When it comes to cost I always am soft when it comes to the small guys. A big money maker may come along and ask for artwork. The rates are high because they are established and are certainly going to be making money from my hard work. When a small-timer or an up-start comes along I catch myself doing things more cheaply or even sometimes for free in the hopes that I can help a brother out... cuz it's all fun in my book.

But to honestly answer the question...

Either a pre-determined hourly rate of $30-$50 with a graphic ready to be screened taking approximately 8 - 12 hours = $240 - $600
Plus licensing - $100 for single use (for a deck graphic only)
or Unlimited use - $500 (this way the art can be used on stickers, T-shirts etc...)

So all said and done, $240-$600 for the time - and $100-$500 for usage costs.

$340-$1100

anyway...
skinny
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote
All I can add is.....seek out skateboarders. Artists are very protective about their work, no matter what. However, a skateboarder wants to see his work put onto a deck. He can get as much satisfaction out of seeing it made, as a non skater would by getting paid well. This cant work out well for the artist in the long run, until a contract is written and a long term deal is made.
MMS
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:16 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 15098 Location: Heaven or Hell...kinda hard to tell.
Skinny makes a good point. From the artist as skater/skater as artist view...I worked cheaper for companies/products/people I was into, because I wanted to be associated with them. My ego got some nice strokes to see something I did in an ad, or be at a spot and someone is riding something I did. Luckily (or unluckily depending on which day you ask me) I've got a day job that pays the bills and my graphic work was done more for mental health and fun than for money.

It's all moot. Cliver got the job I applied for, so I've just been a bitter hack every since.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks guys for the responses again. Just figuring out a budget and costs of decks and all that stuff you got to do to make it right. Release has been on hold for a while now due to me not working and spending $$$ I really do not have on animals. I do not regret it one bit, I made a choice and pick my priorites.
Right now, I'm just talking, so I just appreciate peoples time on advice and opinion when it comes to art. I got like 70% of my choices and options figured out, the other 30 is still open to ideas.
SkaterBonds
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
Give me a quarter and I'll tell you your fortune.

I couldn't imagine charging per hour. Art should know no time limits and when it does, your illustration is limited to your own abilities within the time you are giving yourself. Although, there is a balance between finishing an illustration with enough time to get it right, taking too long or not taking long enough shorthanding the illustration.

Some illustrations can take me 30 minutes to finish, while others can take me 18 hours, again, like you said, depending on the size and amount of work needed to complete.

I think the best possible way to do it, in my opinion, would be something like this-

-Get an idea (ask the interested party what they want illustrated)

-Come up with one or two draft concept examples (however many you see fit)

-Go over the concept for editing critique and finalize the idea for the illustration.

-Finish the illustration and agree on your percentage of pay and the initial amount to purchase the rights to the illustration and to what level of copyright.

Sometimes I fuck around and sometimes I'll do stuff for orders. It all depends on the situation at hand.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next