SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Eviction Notice Recieved
Page 1 of 1    

Eviction Notice Recieved

What do you think we should do?

Leave it alone and find somewhere else to skate  
11%
  [ 2 ]  11%

Write a congressman  
5%
  [ 1 ]  5%

try to work it out with the owner  
52%
  [ 9 ]  52%

peaceful protest  
17%
  [ 3 ]  17%

Other  
11%
  [ 2 ]  11%

Total Votes : 17
letsgoskatepool
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Today I went to Germantown with a bunch of plywood. after skating for a few hours, the manager of the building it is near came up to me and my friend and told us it was okay to skate for now, but that they are going to fill it in with rocks in two or three weeks. This is bad news.

So I propose we do a peaceful protest. We will need to get a lawyer to write up a waiver for skating (to show we are willing to waive liability) and, more importantly, make sure we know the facts about the ditch. We also need to find the exact date they plan to fill it in. I am pretty sure that the ditch is Government property, and just like you cant legally put a ramp on your sidewalk because it is government property, i do not think they can fill in the ditch with rocks. They cant fill it in if we are standing in it!

There are other alternatives i have thought up, but i think this would be the most effective method. Another idea is to offer to pay for fencing, and the only people with keys will be the people who sign a waiver. I really do not want to go down without a fight. this is a call out to everyone, please help out if you can. any ideas are appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
SkateRags
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:59 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Didnt someone suggest that you stop building that place up or it would become a bust.
I dont think a waiver is going to do any good because as you said its not the building owners ditch so a waiver means nothing to him. He is not worried about liability. He sees all that wood and skaters as a nuisance that may be affecting whatever buisness goes on in his building. They only was you could probably appeal to him is to promise to stay on the down low. I think he has been sending you signals for awhile by removing all your wood every time you bring it there.
The protest thing will probably do you no good becasue what you are trying to defend is you right to trespass on what you think is government property.
Hate to be the downer on you plans but I think your ditch is gone.
I do wish you the best of luck in saving you ditch
BillyBonebrake
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Look what I found - JohnnyB at Germantown:

http://www.unm.edu/%7Enrosen/k-lee/st...Ditch_2003001.jpg

I propose you move to New Mexico. But seriously, who is this random local business owner who thinks he can choke off a public works structure with rocks? I think he was pulling your chain. You need to do a little research on this guy and find out what kind of pull he's got with the city, etc.
slob-air
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Putting rocks in the ditch will provide a perfect hatching spot for mosquitos. Due to public health risk of West Nile Virus, the town/city should issue an injunction.

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I agree with slob. Also who said a few rocks would stopa determined skater.
letsgoskatepool
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:45 pm Reply with quote
ok did some research. the ditch is gov. property. i also think that if the ditch was filled with rocks, overflow may be a problem. i am getting the proper email addresses/phone numbers for the right people to talk to. if im the only one who calls/emails, it wont matter to man in charge, but if a lot talk, anything can happen (see olney skatepark for example). I already made an agreement with the guy that i will put everything away (wood etc) when done. THe thing is, it isnt like a store, it is an office building and a warehouse. maybe also go on the angle that it is a safe place for kids to skate that isnt in the street. the closest skatepark is about 45 minutes away via interstate, and driving on the interstate during normal hours is not the safest thing in the world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
cujo613
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Oct 2003 Posts: 11215 Location: Santa Cruz California
exactly how many times was derby park completely dug up and cleaned off
letsgoskatepool
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:05 pm Reply with quote
"didnt someone suggest that you stop building that place up or it would become a bust. "
yeah, and we didnt build any more. you couldnt really tell anything was there unless you really looked.

"He sees all that wood and skaters as a nuisance that may be affecting whatever buisness goes on in his building."
I dont think so, if anything we help cause sometimes when I skate there we keep the workers entertained on their lunch breaks.

" I think he has been sending you signals for awhile by removing all your wood every time you bring it there."
we found out it was the county grass cutter people

"The protest thing will probably do you no good becasue what you are trying to defend is you right to trespass on what you think is government property."
We have some unwritten understanding with the local police. the police station is literally around the corner. many times (even today) a police car will drive up and will stop and watch for 5-10 minutes and then goes off.

"Hate to be the downer on you plans but I think your ditch is gone.
I do wish you the best of luck in saving you ditch"
thanks, i have nothing to loose in trying
letsgoskatepool
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:08 pm Reply with quote
here is the number for Doug Duncan, the County Executive. maybe we can get this solved before anything happens.
240-777-2500
Email:
http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/apps/exec/index.cfm
AlvaCollector
Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:22 am Reply with quote
TWO WEEKS BEFORE I COME OUT AND I GET THIS NEWS!

Page 1 of 1