SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  My Son is Racing downhill looking for bearing intel.
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

My Son is Racing downhill looking for bearing intel.

TNieland
Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Oct 2002 Posts: 1028 Location: Coeur D'Alene Id.
my son is racing in his first IDF race at Maryhill looking for any info on downhill bearings.. I roll rocking Ron's at parks but the sustained speed of downhill might have different requirements. any info would be appreciated.
slob-air
Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Rockets kill it in downhill. I've been hooking up K-Rimes with Rockets for a number of years. Few are as fast as him.

The only negative is these downhill racers will race in the rain and water is Rockets' Achilles heal. The true labyrinth seal is amazing but it cannot stop all the water from getting in and with the micro deep polish on the races (part of what makes Rockets so fast) they can be susceptible to rust if you get them wet. Most bearings have the same issue.

If he's serious, destroying a set of bearings in a race is not an issue. Many of these guys kill their bearings and wheels in a single day of racing.

Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Oct 2003 Posts: 2832 Location: Down South in San Diego
Stick with Ron's, Tom.

Good luck to your son! Is he sporting a colored Mohawk like his old man?

SDO

Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
u might want to check this (for fixing the bearings)

http://ionicflux.com/about/

i'm using it for one year now really had razy results (only bowl pool skating but the guys involved in this are more longboarding related)
for fixing the problems with the rust, dust etc...
slob-air
Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
Interesting link, bouvy—thanks for posting it.

They be peddling some some interesting bull.

Restorative? Please.

Ionic Flux molecules... yah, that works briefly—unless they've been shipped anywhere which causes all bearings to pick up a magnetic charge. If demagged and relubed after shipping it would work briefly again but they'd soon build a charge by doing what they're supposed to do: roll.

The Goldman–Hodgkin–Katz flux equation (or GHK flux equation or GHK current density equation) describes the ionic flux across a cell membrane as a function of the transmembrane potential and the concentrations of the ion inside and outside of the cell. What that means in terms of the Ionic Flux lube is that is prone to and attracted to itself thus rejoins across the surface if separated—unless it becomes too diluted and or loses the magnetic attraction. It does nothing to restore the steel races themselves. This isn't the first time someone has tried to market GHK with such exaggerated claims in the skateboard bearing industry or the motor vehicle industry.

Lube can only go so far when water gets in. And with such insanely deep polishing in the races, there's no lube that won't eventually become diluted to the point it can no longer adhere to the surface. And Ron has the best seals made to keep everything out with his true labyrinth seals. Nobody else's seals come close.

Rockin' Ron developed lube that would work in the sub-zero temperatures of space for Nasa which was used on the shuttle. It can be assumed he makes the best lube out there—I do know that it costs him an insane amount of money to make it—the micro-filtering alone is done on such an insane level that his lubes are pretty much unmatched.

And there ain't nothing faster than Rockets.

Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
i don't much about it but for cleaning really old crappy bearings works pretty good
slob-air
Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
Here's the most important thing to know about bearings:

Every single bearing design for every single brand in the skate industry pre-existed the brand and was never designed with skateboarding in mind.

No brand can afford to design and build their own bearings.

The exception is Rockets which use a pre-existing design but heavily modify that existing design.

Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
good to know, never thought of that
slob-air
Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
And as most bearings used by the skate industry come from China or some other third world country, they generally have poor machining and poorer quality steel. They source the bearings for their brands based only on how cheap they can get them—marketing fills the weakness gap.

Ionic flux lube is made in the Estonia... I think you know where I'm going on that one...

Who is going to make the better lube, some longboarders from the Baltic state of Estonia or an American Bearing Application engineer who worked for NASA, Boeing and other aerospace companies who has done his damndest to expose the fraud within the skateboard bearing Industry?

Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Tell him to get some "reds", my experience is they do the opposite of what parents say.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next