SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Mikle V bails Powell Peralta
Page 10 of 21    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Mikle V bails Powell Peralta

strong reaction
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:09 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 Posts: 1482 Location: A field in Ireland
Going back to a company after 2 shitty times is a bit of a stupid decision.

I mean, if you had a boss that you reckon ballsed you over TWICE then you deserve another slap for going back a third time.

Great skater, Fugazi was probably in the vid because he wants to be Henry Rollins and hang out with McKaye.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:49 am Reply with quote
Well since he "singlehandely made powell what it is today" he should have no problem replicating that success with Elephant. Right? Not sure why the other ventures didn't work out but it's best to ignore that and listen to your bros and dump whatever cash you have left into the dream. Sarcasm aside, I have heard that same argument for years. Dudes who when they're selling it's their work, their name, their deal. When they fall off, it's the companies fault, marketing, graphics......not their problem. They feel they are the reason for a companies success, they bail to do their own thing and nothing. Never reach the level they were at much less stay afloat longer than a few seasons. It's sad. The ego is a crazy thing. It appeared to subsided long enough for him to go oh shit, I got a family, tuck that tail like the rest of us and put some food on the table. We all do that to make the best of things. Reminds me of that shitty "Mr. 3000" movie but not as funny and most likely will have a more "Shindlers List " ending. I just don't see dudes/kids being into Elephant.

Good gauge to see if you should move forward with your t shirt/ deck brand. Show it to all your bros. Ask them what they think. Do they like the art, the shape, will they ride it/ wear it?...........Now ask them to take out their wallet, remove either $21.95 for the tee or $49.95 for the deck. If their butt hole doesn't close faster than a nuns legs on Sunday and they ACTUALLY pay cash for it, then by all means move forward. If they're like "dude that's so sick, I don't have cash right now but they're rad! " consider a new approach. Your gonna have to have dudes pick your deck over a Powell or anti hero on the shop floor and that's a tough game. Take it for what you will but it's ain't your bros money your gonna lose when they don't buy your shit retail. Whatever. Commece the SC shit talking and powell comparisons................NOW!
Jedi_deangelis
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Goon's on the money here. Seems like ego is the driving force here.

Should have stuck with element and made money. Was stoked to see him back on Powell and am bummed he bailed. To make money he'll have to sell Popsicles. Not thrilled by the shapes so far. Hopefully he doesn't have to really ride for zorlac!
professor_pintossible
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
street plants are lame anyways
professor_pintossible
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=black+...ed=1t:429,r:0,s:0

elephant brand? el-e-phant.... el-e-ment...

he's taken 3 of his old sponsors and ripped them all off.

the look of vcj(powell peralta), the branding image of black label, the name of element way to break free from the mold!

Last edited by professor_pintossible on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
MMS
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 15097 Location: Heaven or Hell...kinda hard to tell.
Careful Goon...you're sounding like one of the "Big 3"

"Talent" usually doesn't go far without management. "Management" without talent isn't much to write home about either. Two sides of the same coin.

Has Mike had a lot of success on solo ventures?

How's Powell done without the Bones Brigade?

Super over simplifications? Sure.

Everybody needs to play nice. I learned that in kindergarten. Also, boys have a penis, girls have a vagina. I learned that in "Kindergarten Cop".

"It's not a toom-ahhh!!!"

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Reading Mike V's blog about his PP/Powell history--Mike's story comes across as exposing his innermost thoughts, dreams and fears - which is brave of him. He also seems to believe what he is writing. Clearly there is a lot of emotion, as evidenced by the number of times and ways the "F word" is used.

Some of the points made by MMS clarified some things for me:

SELECTED POINTS - not a complete quote ...
MMS wrote:

How's Powell done without the Bones Brigade?

Super over simplifications? Sure.

Everybody needs to play nice. I learned that in kindergarten.

Actually, it seems to me that a large part of George Powell's success has been due to his R&D / engineering / commitment to quality that has made Bones Bearings and Bones Wheels among the best (and some say the best) in the industry. I know of skaters who are sponsored by other bearing companies, but still ride/rode Bones Swiss bearings. Also skaters who are sponsored by other wheel companies, but when they skate a wood or masonite ramp, they ride/rode Bones SPF's with the graphics rubbed off.

RE: over simplifications: Yep, reading one person's side of the story or hearing one person's opinion is usually a biased view that leaves out much of a more complex situation.

RE: everybody needs to play nice:
I've had the pleasure of talking with Mike V. in person twice (in 2003 and 2010) and he was a super nice guy. But there is video evidence of his attitudes toward people in positions of authority. Perhaps some of what Mike is feeling toward George and Michael is affected by that?
Steviecab
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
DunnDiego wrote:
Mike V's side of the story:
http://mikevallely.com/2011/12/23/i-found-out-for-myself/

Long, but a good read.

There's always "two sides" to a story, sometimes even three, the 2 people's sides and the truth.

Don't always believe what ya read from a personal blog bashing someone else to make themselves look like the "good guy". I say this because if your basing truth on someone's own personal perception, then you are also falling into the trap they have, and that is to look at a situation through their own jaded eyes that only serves and lifts themselves up. This is how reputations are tainted based solely on someone else's personal testimony.

I've skated and "still skate" for George since 1979, that's over 33 years, i did not get any better/special treatment, rules or contracts different than any other skateboarder whom has ridden for this team, we have all been treated the same and given the same responsibility as a sponsored skateboarders to represent the brand. Some may have benefited more though, due to their own personal contribution to the Powell Peralta brand, their personal skate careers and this industry.

No relationship is perfect, nor is it one-sided (my way or the highway), they all take hard work, dedication, sacrifice, and the willing to compromise... to be long- lasting, even outside of the skateboarding business!

If ya wanna know about someone's true character, just look at their track record.

with that all said... I stand by Powell Peralta 100% and i will continue to do so for 30 more years, Lord willing:)

I wish the best for Mike, his family and all his endeavours, i'm pretty disappointed that Mike would write such an ungrateful letter like this towards a company that has given him not one, but 3 chances to make a great skateboarding relationship with a solid skateboard brand.

...maybe he should have rode for Zorlac, would things be any different?

cheers,
cab

http://steviecaballero.blogspot.com/
MMS
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 15097 Location: Heaven or Hell...kinda hard to tell.
Well said.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
its gonna be a real bummer if Mike gets removed from the documentary....or requests to be edited out or something

Page 10 of 21    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next